- This event has passed.
MCA CHP TAP Educational Webinar: Comparison of three hydrogen production methods
March 16 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Hydrogen will surely be a component of our industry’s clean energy transition. With the new $4.00 per kg federal incentive from the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) for green hydrogen, this technology now deserves serious attention. This presentation compares three options to produce hydrogen with zero, or near zero, CO2 emissions. We will look at “green hydrogen” from solar PV electrical hydrolysis of water and compare this to “blue hydrogen” using steam methane reforming of natural gas (with carbon capture) as well as “turquoise hydrogen”, or methane pyrolysis which produces solid carbon black and no CO2 gas. CAPEX, OPEX, and carbon balance will be reviewed, including the potential tax credit implications under the IRA.
• Layout of a solar PV / electrolyzer green hydrogen system
• Layout of a nat. gas SMR / carbon capture hydrogen system
• CAPEX budget estimates for various sized systems
• Tax credits available for PV, H2, and potentially carbon capture 45Q
• OPEX estimates for providing H2 to a customer for some period of time
• Review methane pyrolysis option and compare
• Present available equipment providers